Email newsletter: How to remind about the important without being annoying
I hate annoying e-letters! Especially when it comes from the e-stores. Like a borrower haunts his debtor, reminders follow my inbox each week.
These are two possible options: or I’m extremely “lucky” to meet the newbies in email marketing, or the majority have problems with when and how to send reminders.
To make the things clear I found out for you all the details on:
- what is email reminder,
- remind e-newsletters mistakes,
- how to create gentle email reminders,
- the frequency of sending such newsletters.
What is a reminder email newsletter
Do you remember how much emails you receive after the last registration for an event? For example, like this one from BuzzSumo:
It is a kind of email newsletter, aimed to remind about the important date or event and encourage people to do the necessary action.
Any email gentle reminder is a message, the purpose of which is to induce the addressee to fulfill certain obligations or agreements.
Simply put, it’s a notification that makes you know when your users have some things to do if they’re forgotten. First of all, remember that reminder for email are never sent in a single copy – you need a series of emails to make them effective.
- add an event to the calendar,
- continue subscription,
- make a regular payment, etc.
The essential goal of the mail reminders in Digital Marketing is to retain the client.
The majority of such emails are sent automatically after some action done on the website by a user, so we can call them a kind of trigger emails. But there could be exceptions.
Actually, they are good for:
- reminding about the email subscription, a short statement about how you got people email address:
- policy updates:
- customers or your website visitors to take advantage of a new offer, the ending of a sale, cart abandonment reminders:
- an upcoming event, date reminder, invitation:
- payments and deadlines notifications, subscription start:
Typical mistakes in the email reminders in Digital Marketing
Misleading or non-personalized subject line:
- Unnecessary information that distracts. I prefer to read clear email copy without any paragraphs of the useless text about the company history, duplication of information from the main site, additional offer, etc.
- Don’t mix content types as J.Crew did it in this newsletter with the reminder and the sale offer:
- Sending emails with the machine gun frequency. Sometimes it seems that the aim of some companies to make their subscribers drown in the flow of reminders about an important event, and they’ll do everything possible to be noticed in the inbox.
How to create gentle and effective email reminders. Best templates analysis
Subject line tips for an email reminder on how to be noticed in the inbox
- Litmus says that question-based titles work quite good for the peoples’ eye. Try to use this tip in the next mass mailing campaign subject line!
Usually, email topics with the question like “are you ready” + |event name| or |discount size| have quite good open rates.
- Mention your company, store, event name to make the offer clear from the first look.
- Add the urgency. For example, ____ is selling out! or Starting tomorrow! ______
- Keep it simple: |сompany, event name| + |Starting date|
- |Word “reminder”| + |command| + |сompany, event name| is a good subject line combination. The first part informs readers of the purpose and the second one encourages them to open the email.
What do I like in this email?
The title of this email reminder contains company name, the urgency of the offer in the title encourages the reader to do the immediate action.
Content and Design lifehacks from the best email reminder samples
Besides the traditional tips to make effective email reminders you have to keep in mind the next requirements:
- To set a friendly tone of your email start it with the personalization touch. People love when someone mentions their name, so start with the subscribers’ list segmentation.
What do I like in this email?
Personally for me, simplicity is real perfection. Confirmation e-letter from the Publican Anker looks clear and highly personalized: it contains the recipient’s name and his order info (place and data).
- Keep the email copy short and simple. A single paragraph providing clear data works miracles. Just add the data, time, place (if it is an offline event, add a map), and avoid unnecessary text.
- It is a good practice to insert the “ADD TO CALENDAR” link of the upcoming event date in the newsletter. Thus email recipients can schedule their time.
Following the MarketingProfs example you can create the “ADD TO CALENDAR” link in the kalinka.tardate service:
or in the addtoaccount.com service:
- Remember the gold email marketing rule: 1 message – 1 goal – 1 CTA and don’t mix message types even if it seems quite good for the follow-up strategy. It is so easy to lose customer loyalty in pursuit of high sales coefficients.
- Mention why you are emailing the reader. Just as easy for girls to forget about the New Year’s promise of a three-day workout in the gym, just as fast, email readers forget about their email subscription and mark your email as spam.
Following the Launching Next example it is better to add a short paragraph to the newsletter about how did you get permission to send emails:
- Focus people attention on the main information with the help of design: place it in the center of the email body as Legacybox does it by keeping the promo code front and center:
How often should you send email reminders?
What would you feel if you received 40 emails from the same company about the upcoming event? It isn’t a nightmare, but a real case from the SurveyMonkey’s practice.
Statistics says that the best timing for sending reminders is between 48 hours and 72 hours after the initial email.
Moreover, there should be a limit to the number of emails after the 1-st newsletter. SurveyMonkey research found out the next email reminders frequency Response Rate effectivity:
Thus, these survey results say that:
4 rounds are the maximum number of emails to remind about the important without being annoying.
Anyway, you should take into account the specifics of your audience.
Besides, content in the email depends on the kind of event itself. There are several main types of such emails that are used in marketing. Let’s check them out.
Which letters to send as a reminder email
In order to better grasp the peculiarities of such reminders by email business correspondence, it is worth paying attention to some typical examples of such mails, examining clichés for wording them, and also having the best sample letter-writing practices.
Replenishment emails is a letter that notifies the client to re-order a previously purchased item before it runs out.
Replenishment as a reminder email is perfect for those who sell goods of regular demand: shampoos, pet food, or cosmetics – that is, those that need to be regularly replenished, updated, and purchased. With replenishment emails, you may notify your customers in advance to re-purchase.
All you need to trigger an email reminder for recurring purchases is to define how often your repeat customers order the same product.
These emails improve the customer experience by making it easier for users to make repeat purchases. Most importantly, such emails reduce the likelihood that your customers will go to competitors.
Unfortunately, many stores neglect replenishment letters and, as a result, miss out on repeat sales to customers who simply forget when it’s time to stock up again. Do not repeat their mistakes so as not to miss the opportunity to increase the regular budget.
First of all, remember that professional reminder emails to events are never sent in a single copy – you need a series of emails to make them effective.
In addition, the content of the email depends on the type of event (offline, online, other) itself. There are two main event sorts: online and offline.
The professional email template is preceded by the event invitation and followed by a follow-up email.
Let’s take a look at this example:
- Friendly email reminder series of them;
The first friendly notification is sent a few days after registration / two weeks before the event:
Check out a regular follow-up event mail
Short emails are easy to read, and they usually get a response. So, try to be short, but to sound sweet.
This is the very first email you send to attendees of your website immediately after registering for any activity. This is a trigger email that should be sent immediately after registration. Don’t make people wait for it for hours.
Here you just need to confirm their information and provide an unsubscribe option in the case they might register unconsciously.
Use email template reminder:
So, it will also be appropriate to remind the topic and date of the event, sales or any other activity the reminder is about.
Just a reminder
The main goal here is not to stir up interest, but simply to keep the audience. It also may be the final letter on your side. It is usually used as a third or fourth message from the series or chains of triggered messages.
Send it the day before the event or sales launch. If this is all about some international event, then in three days it will be better.
An offline event notifier may contain: day, name, QR / personal code for each participant, map with directions, your mobile phone number (but not a link to the social network!) And a confirmation button. Place all this information on a thematic banner.
It is also necessary to send an SMS with brief information in case the participants are on the way and do not have an Internet connection.
The fourth message in the chain is sent early in the morning on Day X. People are planning their day, and it will be very kind of you to send reminder for meeting emails to let them know of what’s been scheduled. Until they make a business meeting on time.
The letter should be simple and contain a link to the webinar – if you wish, you can say a few words about why the webinar is worth attending.
It will not be bad to support your email blasting campaigns with alternative communication channels & send subscribers a message on Viber / WhatsApp / Messenger informing them that you have sent an email with details, etc.
Even if you did everything right, some of those who registered for the webinar will not be able to attend. And it will be a wonderful gesture for you to offer them a video.
It is possible that even those who have attended the webinar will want to watch it again to refresh their memory.
Ask people to leave a review. It is always helpful to know their opinion on the meeting.
For those who took their time to answer your questions from the follow-up reminding email sample, you may send a new proposal asap.
As you see you may do it both prior and after reminding email sample, you may send a new proposal asap:
As you see you may do it both prior and after sending a reminder email for the first introduction or immediately after the registration is completed. Sky’s the limit to your creativity.
How to create a reminding message in mailers
Of course, you should pick the best kind reminder email sample, as well as get curious about the best writing practices. When you’re through with the tool for mail processing, there are a couple of features that may become available to you:
– Select the type of reminder: email or SMS.
– Enter the number of days before the event when you want to receive a reminder. That is, if you enter 7, then an email (SMS) with a reminder will come a week before the event.
– Also lots of tools offer to select the column that is responsible for setting up the date of the event.
– Enter a list of email addresses or phone numbers (separated by commas) to which reminders will be sent. The phone number must be entered in the international format: + (country code) (code) (number).
– Specify send-out time and time zone.
You may change the settings at any time, edit the letter template (SMS), and also delete unnecessary reminders. If you work with our best-selling instrument
You may set up reminders by email or SMS about the upcoming events in the database. Atomic Mail Sender will send a record from the database to your email, reminding you of the date this record belongs to and so much more.
Ideally, when you research on and only then choose the quality mailer that will meet all your demands in terms of email marketing is the best variant.
With our instructions on how to write an email reminder, it’s easy to create one in the mailer. It’s effective to compose a text taking into account all the tips that are provided, download a demo, and check yourself how effective harvesting email addresses, building lists & composing mails with the top-notch software are.
Mail Sender reminder texting example:
As you know, trustful relationships with subscribers are one of the factors that contribute to the development of your business. That’s why you need to know how to send email reminders at the right time, in the right place.
By sending reminders to your clients, we show that we care and respect them. We also keep in touch and strengthen relationships. So, use creative reminders to keep your audience active & engaged in your processes. Also, use the best emails verification tools prior to launch & our templates during the process organization to create effective personalized reminders as per your business needs.
Hope this article would be useful for you. And now you are ready to update your email reminders strategy with the Atomic Email Studio − the best software for sending mass mailing campaigns.