Pitfalls of the cheap SMS services: Trap for Scrooge
All the world is on our cellphone. We read the news, make friends, chat, work, play, buy online via mobile phone. That’s why today mobile marketing is in good progress and increases at a rapid rate.
Of course as in any business, among lots of opportunities for bulk SMS features happens fraud and unlawful acts.
People who wish to send an enormous amount of text messages for peanuts are more likely to fall prey to SMS fraud.
We are going to tell you about hidden pitfalls, illusive cheap SMS and potential traps. Forewarned is Forearmed. Let’s make sure that doesn’t happen to you.
Cheap mass text services: What these words mean and how they fit together
Let’s make clear a bit about low-cost SMS service providers.
These are kind of companies that enter into a partnership to mobile operator and buy bandwidth on their network. And then SMS aggregators re-sell that bandwidth to clients. This is a legitimate way to provide quality text message sending service. The more you send the less you pay for 1 text message generally.
Online SMS service providers allow you to spend little money and be sure your clients will receive a text message apart from the country they live and the mobile operator they use.
But dishonest suppliers often use questionable and illegal methods to offer cheaper SMS prices. If you see that 1 SMS price is too low, you should know that such price often comes with poor quality, slow delivery (even non-delivery occasions) and lots of illegal methods like grey routes, SIM farms, SMS spoofing, phishing, scamming, etc.
How the bulk SMS service pricing is formed
Usually, bulk SMS campaign price depends on the connection type and the agreement with the mobile service provider.
The total cost of the user’s text campaign depends on lots of pricing factors:
- the total amount of messages,
- the sender name if registered,
- the type of a gateway,
- the mobile operator to which the SMS is being sent,
- the maximum client’s payment, etc.
Bulk SMS service forms own rates based on the prices offered by the SMS operators. Therefore, if you are proposed to send text messages below the average price or significantly lower than declared operator tariffs, – that should get your attention and set you on alert. Probably, these rates are not final rates and the user will have to pay extra money as a service charge or commission fee.
Always take a close look at SMS aggregator rates – be sure they are understandable for you, they contain a minimum of ambiguous information and masked footnotes.
Why the majority of cheap SMS marketing services are dangerous
The phenomenon of free-of-charge messages appeared due to an irrepressible human desire to spend minimum money and effort, and get the highest quality result. Scammers use it to play on our psychology.
How do they manage to reduce the cost of text messages?
There are two variants, but both are disappointing:
- SMS phishers steal traffic from operators or legal SMS services, using mobile network vulnerabilities, phishing, etc.
- Endless free messages act as a trap for users – they will pay the double price later.
Does the free SMS service exist?
The answer is NO. You’ll never find absolutely free-of-charge service that allows sending bulk text campaigns to hundreds and thousands of subscribers. In the case of legal free messages, there can be 5-10 SMS for service testing offered directly by online SMS providers.
The main purpose of such test messages is to check the fast and guaranteed delivery, study up the service features, find out all the details before pay for it.
How to choose a perfect bulk SMS service provider
There is a large number of services for sending mass text messages which have been working for many years in mobile marketing, with a good reputation and successful experience. Nevertheless, new players constantly appear.
Beware not only the cheap price but also the complete newcomer SMS aggregators, because some of them can turn out to be shell services. Choosing an inexperienced, possibly illegal SMS service provider can have serious outcomes for your business:
- Blocking the carrier due to its fraudulent activities with the loss of all your invested money and non-delivery of messages
- The lack of guarantees for the fixed SMS price, for message delivery, for your recipients list protection from spam.
Sometimes it happens that mobile providers resell text sending services to each other – that can seriously affect the quality of service.
When choosing why SMS service provider we recommend to find out all the information about the following:
- Spam check. Not every service provider checks its mobile network for spam. If you use the one like this, it is a high chance that your SMS messages will be rejected by mobile operators as spam, and you’ll get into the senders’ blacklist.
- SIM farms usage. Some SMS service providers offer users to buy a SIM card and use it for sending bulk text messages. Such SIM cards are connected to providers’ GSM modems. These SIM farms can:
- slow down message delivery due to additional network hops between endpoints,
- put at risk of blocking cards by mobile operators due to spam suspicions
- The opportunity to get fast support and answer to your question at any suitable time.
- The detailed delivery reports existence for you can analyze sent text campaign.
While choosing the SMS service provider first ask yourself about the result you want to get: to save money or to benefit with a quality and effective campaign.
Whether you sent once or constantly, whether your recipients are all over the world or within one country – quality and responsible service provider is always ready to offer an individual solution to each client.
However, what should you do if you have no time or desire to explore thousands of services and choose the proper one? We recommend to take no risk and do business with a proven leading SMS service provider like Atomic SMS Service. Test it for free, send text messages to any country, schedule the campaign and get the detailed statistics.