500+ Spam Words that Could Send Your Mail List into Spam
23% of spam complaints are caused by email content according to AccuWeb research. Every fourth message is intercepted by spam filters, and thus, is not read by recipients, killing your reputation because of the spam words included.
No wonder, email deliverability is based on domain reputation, email content, and content relevance. This way, the words you use directly affect your mailing results. So, let’s consider how to get rid of spam words to reduce spam complaints and increase the deliverability of your emails in your next email campaigns.
What are Spam words?
It is important for mail services (Gmail, Outlook, etc.) to deprive their users of receiving spam. To protect them, they have created spam filters – special algorithms that analyze emails and decide whether it is spam or not.
In the email marketing crowd, these words and phrases are called stop words.
Spam or Stop words are words that should be avoided when sending emails, otherwise, your emails will end up in spam and the sender’s reputation will be suspended by the spam filters.
Spam filters may check a great variety of emails every day. They store the data on which words and phrases spammers use most often in their mailings. When the spam filter detects these words in the mailing list, it automatically marks the message as spam.
Even a trusted sender may get into spam if uses too many stop words without being aware of them to be such. These words & phrases look harmless enough but can play a bad joke on the deliverability of your mailing list and spoil your reputation.
The list of Spam words to avoid in emails
Here’s the list of the most common words you may come across when preparing mailing in alphabetical order for your convenience
|G – H||I – J||L – M|
|N – O||P – Q||R – S|
|T – U||V – W||X – Y – Z|
A – B
|Accept credit cards||Benefits|
|Access now||Best price|
|Access for free||Best offer|
|Act Now||Brand new|
|Amazing offer||Buy direct|
C – D
|Call me||Direct marketing|
|Cancellation required||Do it now|
|Cash||Do it today|
|Cash out||Don’t delete|
|Cash bonus||Double your|
|Click||Double your cash|
|Click to get|
|Compete for your business|
E – F
|Earn extra cash||Free access|
|Earn money||Free bonus|
|Earn monthly||Fantastic offer|
|Earn from home||Fast cash|
|Email extractor||For just $xxx|
|Email harvest||For Only|
|Email marketing||For you|
|Exclusive deal||Free quote|
G – H
|Get it now||Here|
|Get out of debt||Hidden|
|Get paid||Hidden charges|
|Get started now||Hidden fees|
|Gift certificate||High score|
|Give it away||Home|
|Giving away||Home based|
|Guarantee||Home based business|
I – J
|Important information||Join millions|
|Income from home||Junk|
L – M
|Life Insurance||Marketing solutions|
|Limited offer||Money back|
|Limited supply||Money making|
|Lowest price||Month trial offer|
N – O
|Never before||Once in lifetime|
|New customers only||Online job|
|No investment||Online income|
|No hidden сosts||Online marketing|
|No hidden fees||Online pharmacy|
|No cost||Opt in|
|No credit check||Order|
|Not scam||Order now|
|Not spam||Order shipped by|
|Now only||Order today|
|No payment required|
|No purchase necessary|
P – Q
|Per day (week, month)||Quote|
|Pennies a day|
R – S
|Real thing||Special offer|
|Request now||Satisfaction guaranteed|
|Request today||Save $|
|Round the world||Save money|
|Subscribe for free|
T – U
|Take action now||Unsecured credit|
|Terms and conditions||Unsecured debt|
|The best rates||Unsubscribe|
|This isn’t junk||Urgent|
|This isn’t spam||US dollars|
|This won’t last|
V – W
|Viagra||Work from home|
|VIP||We hate spam|
|Visit our website||Win|
X – Y – Z
|Xanax||You are a winner!||Zero chance|
|You have been chosen||Zero percent|
|Your chance||Zero risk|
Numerals & Symbols you should avoid in your mailings
|0% risk||100% more||4U|
Top Tips on How to Avoid Spam Filters
Here’s a quick list for you to double-check your email content for spam words & other violations while preparing your next campaign:
- Don’t include large attachments in your email campaign messages.
- Do not write the entire text in capital letters and use standard fonts.
- Don’t be too wordy or watery.
- Do not use many exclamation marks and other symbols in a row.
- Write readable text.
- Forget about the red, bold, highlighted text, underlines, blank lines and words with spaces, and repetitions.
- Personalize your email headers & email subject lines, and make sure your personalization tags work properly.
- Don’t use excessive HTML formatting.
- Verify your emails to improve deliverability and keep your sender reputation safe.
- Don’t get encrypted. Please include the real name of the company and the valid email of the sender.
- Check the relevance of the database. By sending emails to non-existent email addresses, the risk of getting into spam increases.
- Check your domain’s reputation before the email campaign launch.
- Check out your authentication settings: whether SPF & DKIM are registered for the domain.
- Set up & support DMARC technology that specifies what to do with a message that has not passed SPF & checks of DKIM.
- Do not neglect the individual settings for spam filters as users may manually set spam filters in their mailboxes.
- Use professional email marketing software to avoid troubles.
Working on improving your mailing content to avoid spam filters is a pain. It becomes more difficult because spam filters are improving based on readers’ behavioral patterns analysis and other complex algorithms. So, to formulate your proposals in such a way, that to guarantee deliverability to the recipients, study spam filters carefully, sort out your words, check the content to avoid unnecessary risk, etc.
So, check out your e-mail newsletters for stop words regularly and especially carefully in headers (subject lines). These simple tips will help to achieve a positive result.
Use the Atomic Mail Sender for thorough assistance!
Check your email with Spam Assassin, a feature of Atomic Mail Sender, and your mailings never face the Spam folder.